Safe Transit Off Campus

The neighborhoods surrounding Washington University in St. Louis provide many opportunities for entertainment, dining and off-campus living. 

As you travel off campus, whether in St. Louis or abroad, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions for your safety.

Campus-2-Home Shuttle

The Campus-2-Home shuttle provides a safe ride between the hours of 6 p.m. and 4 a.m. daily from the Danforth Campus to off-campus residences in the four areas designated below. 

The shuttle leaves from both the Mallinckrodt Center and the Brookings Drive steps and takes passengers directly to the entrances to their buildings. For more information, contact Parking & Transportation Services​.​

Northern boundary: Kingsbury Avenue
Southern boundary: Forest Park Parkway
Western boundary: Skinker Boulevard
Eastern boundary: Des Peres Avenue
Loop South
Northern boundary: Delmar Boulevard
Southern boundary: Forest Park Parkway
Western boundary: Trinity Avenue
Eastern boundary: Melville Avenue
South of Campus
Northern boundary: Forsyth Boulevard
Southern boundary: Clayton Road
Western boundary: Big Bend Blvd.
Eastern boundary: Skinker Blvd.
North of The Loop

Northern boundary: Vernon Ave. and North Dr.
Southern boundary: Enright Avenue
Western boundary: Kingsland Avenue
Eastern boundary: Eastgate Avenue

Traveling on Foot

For your personal safety, follow our tips for safety while walking and jogging as you travel on foot in off-campus areas. If you are confronted by a thief, hand over what is demanded and do not give chase.
Off campus, you may encounter people who will try to stop you and ask for money. This is called panhandling and, in many areas, it is illegal. Don’t stop and give money to panhandlers; just keep walking. Consider alternate ways to donate money or time through community service.

Overseas Travel

The Washington University Police Dept. provides services for members of the campus community looking for safety advisories as they plan overseas trips.

WUPD subscribes to the U.S. State Department’s Electronic Data Base (EDB). The EDB provides current and authoritative information about overseas security conditions.

Categories of Information Available from the EDB

  • Department of State overseas travel advisories, listed by country
  • Reports on security and crime incidents, listed by country
  • Updates on new or unusual situations overseas
  • Addresses and telephone numbers of U.S. diplomatic and consular posts overseas
  • Police emergency telephone numbers, listed by country
  • General crime information on foreign cities and countries

More information about traveling abroad can be found at the  U.S. Department of State website​.

​Members of the campus community who would like to request information about a locality prior to traveling can contact: Wendy Oloteo at (314) 935-7698