If you are inside:
- Stay put, but evacuate tunnels, mechanical rooms, laboratories and indoor swimming pools.
- Take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture. Stay away from glass, windows and outside doors. If unable to move, cover your head and body with your arms, pillows, blankets, books, etc. to protect yourself from falling objects. Avoid high bookcases, mirrors, cabinets or other furniture that might topple.
- Hold on until the shaking stops.
- Never take an elevator.
If you are outside:
- Avoid trees, power lines and other hazards.
- Move to an open area if possible.
- Drop to the ground until the shaking stops.
If you are in a vehicle:
- Pull over and stop your car.
- Do not stop on overpasses, underpasses or bridges.
- Stay in the vehicle until the shaking stops.
For more information on earthquakes and preparedness, please visit: http://emergency.wustl.edu/be-prepared/earthquake/