Hazardous Materials Spill
Do not attempt to contain or clean up spills unless you have been trained.
For spills or incidents that require special training, procedures or equipment that is beyond the abilities of personnel on site, take the following steps:
- Immediately notify affected personnel and evacuate the spill area.
- Pull the fire alarm if building evacuation is required.
- Close the door behind you to contain the spill.
- If the spill material is flammable, turn off ignition and heat sources.
- Avoid breathing vapors of the spilled material.
- Leave the local exhaust ventilation (fume hoods) on.
Call the appropriate emergency number for the campus that the spill is at to report the incident, or if there’s contamination or spill involving a radioactive substance, call Radiation Safety at (314) 362-3476.
Give the operator the following information:
- Your name, telephone number and location.
- Time and type of incident.
- Name and quantity of the material, if known.
- Extent of injuries or damage, if any.
Anyone who is contaminated by the spill should avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity, and give his/her name to emergency personnel. An effort to wash off contamination and to administer any required first aid should begin immediately.
For additional information on hazardous material spills, please visit: http://emergency.wustl.edu/be-prepared/hazmat.