04/11/2022 at 1:20 AM
This morning, around 1:20 am, a person unaffiliated with the university was sitting on the patio of a private apartment in the 6100 block of Waterman when the person observed two male subjects looking into his vehicle. The person verbally challenged the suspects; at which time they began shooting at him. The person stated that he fired a round from his own pistol in self-defense, which caused the suspects to enter two vehicles and flee the alley at a high rate of speed. As the vehicles sped away, it was reported that they were still firing numerous shots. During the exchange of gunfire, a round apparently “ricocheted” and went through the rear screen and glass door of an apartment of two students in the 6100 block of Pershing Ave.
No one was injured as a result of this incident.
The St. Louis City Police Department is investigating. The Washington University Police Department is assisting in the investigation.
Report suspicious persons or activity immediately to Police at 9-1-1 or WUPD at 314-935-5555.
• If you hear a vehicle alarm, contact Police immediately.
• If you see someone attempting to steal your vehicle, do not confront them.
• Do not leave expensive property such as laptops, CD’s, purses, radar detectors, cellular telephones and portable stereos in plain view in your vehicle. Lock them in your trunk or take them with you.
• Lock your vehicle.
• Park in a well-lit area or as close to a light as possible.
• Consider using Metro’s public transportation system or using the WashU Campus Shuttle system if appropriate. For more information visit the Transportation Options page at transportation.wustl.edu.
• Download the WashUSafe App.