06/17/2022 at 10:55 PM
On 06/17/2022 at 10:55pm, a student living in a private apartment in the 700 block of Leland Ave., heard someone enter their apartment. The student called out to see who was there. When there was no response, the student went to investigate. The subject left the apartment and ran from the area. Nothing was taken.
University City and WUPD officers responded to the scene. It was determined that the subject entered the apartment through an unlocked door.
WUPD will be conducting increased patrols in the area.
Report suspicious activity immediately to Police at 911 or go to the nearest emergency blue light telephone.
• Lock your door, even when you are at home.
• Lock the windows to your apartment when closed, even if you are home. Close and lock windows when you leave your apartment.
• Remove objects such as coolers, chairs and small tables from outside your apartment. These objects may assist someone to easily access windows.
• If you have a sliding glass door, secure it further by placing a piece of wood in the track to prevent it from opening.
• Never prop open exterior doors or gates. If you see a door propped, close it.
• Don’t allow people you do not know to “tailgate” behind you into the building.
• When someone knocks at your door, don’t open it unless you know your visitor or you can confirm that the person should be in the building.
• If you arrive home to find your door ajar, hear unusual sounds or believe your apartment has been broken into, DON’T GO IN! Go to a telephone and call the Police.
• If you have security or safety concerns about your apartment or building facilities, discuss this information with your landlord.
• Consider installing a personal surveillance monitoring device on the entrance to your apartment.
• When you are away from your residence, leave your interior lights on.