02/01/2022 at 3:18 PM
At approximately 3:18 pm today, a female student was walking to her vehicle which was parked behind her private apartment in the 6600 block of Clemens Ave. As the student approached her vehicle, she observed a male subject walking down the alley towards her. The subject passed the student and then turned around and walked back towards the student. The subject then lifted his shirt, displaying a handgun tucked inside the waistband of his pants. The subject demanded the student’s car keys and cell phone. The student complied with the subject’s demands and gave up the requested items. The subject then got in the vehicle and drove away from the scene.
There were no reported injuries as a result of this incident
University City Police Department is investigating
Be alert to your surroundings. Do not sit in your car to text or use electronic devices, and be observant while walking. If you suspect you are being followed, run in a different direction; go to the other side of the street and yell or whistle for help; or head quickly to a lighted area, a group of people, or business.
• Carry a whistle to summon help.
• Be extra cautious if someone approaches you or your vehicle and asks for information or if someone asks to use your cell phone.
• If you are confronted by a thief, give them what they want and don’t chase them as they leave. Report suspicious persons or activity immediately to the Police.
• Consider using Metro’s public transportation system or using the WashU Campus Shuttle system if appropriate. For more information visit the Transportation Options page at transportation.wustl.edu.
• Download the WashUSafe App.