11/22/2019 at 10:00 PM
At approximately 10 pm on Friday, November 22, 3 graduate students were walking in the 6200 block of Clemens, near Kingsland Ave. As they were walking, a person across the street yelled at them demanding their property. The students began walking away from the person when they heard a single gunshot. The students then ran away.
The incident was reported to the University City Police. Police conducted a search of the area and determined that the person had left the area.
No injuries were reported.
University City Police Department is investigating
Consider using the Campus2Home Shuttle Service or Metro’s public transportation system. For more information visit the Transportation Options page at transportation.wustl.edu.
• Call WUPD at 314-935-5555 to request an escort. Escorts are available both on and off campus,
• Avoid walking or jogging alone and never walk or jog alone after dark.
• Always choose a well-lit path and avoid dark or vacant areas.
• Carry a whistle to summon help.
• Download the Noonlight Safety App.
• Be alert to your surroundings. If you suspect you are being followed, run in a different direction; go to the other side of the street and yell or whistle for help; or head quickly to a lighted area, a group of people, or business.
• Be extra cautious if someone approaches you or your vehicle and asks for information or if someone asks to use your cell phone.
• If you are confronted by a thief, give them what they want and don’t chase them as they leave. Report suspicious persons or activity immediately to the Washington University Police Department.