11/03/2021 at 2:14 PM
At 9:00pm on 11-03-2021, WUPD was alerted to an incident that had occurred earlier in the day.
A student reported that he was walking south on Skinker Blvd near Washington St. when he was approached by three subjects. As the subjects walked past the student, one of the subjects grabbed a bag containing personal items from the student’s hand. All three subjects then ran north on Skinker into an alley.
The subjects did not say anything to the student. The subjects did not display or infer they had a weapon. The student was not injured as a result of this encounter.
A review of surveillance cameras in the area revealed that two of the subjects had no distinguishing or identifiable characteristics but the third subject wore a dark hoodie with the words “REACH FOR THE STARS” written on the back.
WUPD is assisting the St. Louis City Police Department in this investigation.
• Be alert to your surroundings. Do not sit in your car to text or use electronic devices, and be observant while walking. If you suspect you are being followed, run in a different direction; go to the other side of the street and yell or whistle for help; or head quickly to a lighted area, a group of people, or business
• Carry a whistle to summon help.
• Be extra cautious if someone approaches you or your vehicle and asks for information or if someone asks to use your cell phone.
• If you are confronted by a thief, give them what they want and don’t chase them as they leave. Report suspicious persons or activity immediately to the Police.
• Consider using Metro’s public transportation system. For more information visit the Transportation Options page at transportation.wustl.edu.
• Download the WashUSafe App.