11/27/2021 at 7:10 PM
At approximately 7:10 pm, a student reported that he parked his car in the 700 block of Eastgate Ave. The student and his passenger (also a student) exited the vehicle. The passenger indicated that they saw 4 male subjects in the parking lot when they got out of the car. The two students started to walk south along Eastgate when they heard someone call out to them from behind. When the students stopped, they were approached by the four subjects from the parking lot. One of the subjects produced a handgun and demanded the student driver’s car keys. The student gave up his keys and the subjects ran north to where the car was parked. The subjects took the vehicle and drove away from the area in an unknown direction.
There were no reported injuries as a result of this incident.
University City is investigating
Be alert to your surroundings. Do not sit in your car to text or use electronic devices, and be observant while walking. If you suspect you are being followed, run in a different direction; go to the other side of the street and yell or whistle for help; or head quickly to a lighted area, a group of people, or business
• Carry a whistle to summon help.
• Be extra cautious if someone approaches you or your vehicle and asks for information or if someone asks to use your cell phone.
• If you are confronted by a thief, give them what they want and don’t chase them as they leave. Report suspicious persons or activity immediately to the Police.
• Consider using Metro’s public transportation system. For more information visit the Transportation Options page at transportation.wustl.edu.
• Download the WashU Safety App.